PLEASE NOTE that due to the limitations of PC screens and websites the images shown are of a low resolution. Actual printed images are of a much higher quality and clarity.
St Anne’s Church of Ireland churchyard is situated on the high hill of Mullach na Sí (Hill of the Fairies) overlooking the panorama of “Saimer’s Green Vale”. This ancient hill has a colourful history of its own. Gaelic tradition makes it the burial place of the legendary High King Hugh; son of Badurn who, we are told was drowned in the falls of Aodh Rua, Assaroe. St. Patrick in the fifth century visited the hill. The first church of the colonists to be erected here was built in the Market Yard by Sir Henry Folliott, close to his castle. In 1691, a second church was built in Mullaghnashee. The present church was erected in 1841. In the graveyard beside the church, many distinguished people are buried, including the poet, William Allingham, whose cremated ashes were transported from Woking, England where he died in 1889.Lieutenant McGovern of the Northumberland Infantry stationed in Ballyshannon was killed in the last duel in the area, which took place in 1802. He was buried with full military honours in Mullaghnashee graveyard.
Prof. Robert Crawford, a renowned engineer, was buried here in 1914. The church is floodlit and it’s prominent position in the town in now noticeable both day and night.