PLEASE NOTE that due to the limitations of PC screens and websites the images shown are of a low resolution. Actual printed images are of a much higher quality and clarity.
The oldest of the three Lighthouses in Lough Swilly is at Fanad Head on the western shore. It stands at such a strategic point facing the open North Atlantic and also lighting the entrance to the Lough that it is in fact a dual purpose light, both sea light and harbour light. It can be seen for fourteen miles in clear weather and was first exhibited on St. Patrick Day 1817. As so often happened those days it took the wrecking of a ship and the loss of human life to bring about the building of a lighthouse at Fanad Head. The Soldana ran aground on the treacherous rocks below the point with a total loss of life. The only survivor was the ships parrot, which wore a silver collar with the name Soldana inscribed on it.