PLEASE NOTE that due to the limitations of PC screens and websites the images shown are of a low resolution. Actual printed images are of a much higher quality and clarity.
St Anne’s Church is situated on the high hill of Mullaghnashee and overlooks the town of Ballyshannon from every angle. There is no precise date for the first church on the site but it was erected in the early 17th Century. By 1735 the church had fallen into bad repair and it was decided to build a new church. In 1839 a huge storm hit Ireland and St. Anne’s was badly damaged, The Ballyshannon Herald reported at the time that it felt the church could not be repaired and sure enough the church of 1735 had to be replaced by a new church in 1841 at a cost of £3,405. A peal of six Warner bells was presented by Mr. H. Stubbs and installed in 1884, he later increased the peal of bells to eight in 1900. The clock was a gift from Henry Stubbs of Danby and of Alfred Stubbs of Portnason and it was set going on the 2nd October 1903.