PLEASE NOTE that due to the limitations of PC screens and websites the images shown are of a low resolution. Actual printed images are of a much higher quality and clarity.
Castle Caldwell Forest park lies four miles from Belleek at the western end of Lower Lough Erne. Before entering the Castle grounds stop and look at the Fiddler’s Stone – an interesting warning to fiddlers of yesteryear. The dark and overgrown forest hides many treasures such as the ruins of the castle (originally built in 1612); a stone kiln built in limestone rock and a half-moon limestone bench along the shoreline. Natural beauty is all around – part of the shoreline is a National Forest Nature Reserve. There are also fine views across rolling farmland, Lough Erne and the Magho Cliffs. This is a birdwatching paradise. Many of the offshore islands are designated bird sanctuaries.