PLEASE NOTE that due to the limitations of PC screens and websites the images shown are of a low resolution. Actual printed images are of a much higher quality and clarity.
Creevy, or Craobhach, means a branchy place or an area covered with branches. Creevy shows signs of early habitation and has a coastline that would been easily accessible to our ancestors. In Creevy, there were two ring barrows which are assumed to have been burial sites, there are three cashels and are traces of five ring forts one which is marked Crawford’s fort on OS maps. Creevy Pier was known as Bunatruhan, which means bottom or mouth of the little stream which was built during the Famine period in 1847. The Creevy shore walk, a purpose built coastal footpath 10 miles in length runs from Rossnowlagh through Creevy to the mouth of the Erne Estuary in Ballyshannon. On the Creevy Coastal Walk are the ruins of Kilbarron Castle, home of Michael O’Cleary, and the Four Masters, a group of Franciscan lay brothers, who penned the Annals of the Four Masters. Numerous archeological and historical sites of significance abound in the locality, including the Kilbarron 6th Century Church of St. Barron, kinsman of St. Colmcille, after which this parish of Kilbarron is named. Recently a prehistoric Sand Cemetry dating back to 4000 BC was discovered adjacent to the Shore Walk.